Thursday, July 23, 2015

Join Me on a Home Building Adventure

Welcome to my new blog that will follow the adventures of building a brand new home.  Let me give you a little background on how we got here and what you can expect from this blog.

W and I started our married life in a 20 year old single wide mobile home.  It was nothing fancy but suited us fine.  A few years later my parents began renting their old home to us.  Our current house is around 125 years old.  I wish I could say it was a grand old home, but it is not.  The house started off as a general store and was even a "club" about 50 years ago.  Sections were added over time.  The house is not even close to square and has no insulation.  I can be well assured that I will never get carbon monoxide poisoning as the house is full of cracks.  Still with all of its downfalls, a part of me will miss this old house.

Knowing all of our current home's problems and the costs of fixing those problems, we opted to build a new house.  We are taking an alternative route.  For several years we having been saving money as our goal is to avoid a mortgage.  We also plan to do much of the construction ourselves.  W has done construction work, and I was my dad's construction assistant so we are not going into this blind.  We do have a contractor to help with some parts and will sub-contract other portions of the build.  (More on that as we progress)

My plan is take each of you along with me on this journey.  I will begin by explaining the pre-building steps.  Also plan to see many polls and questions.  I know many of you already have homes.  If not you have ideas of what you would like in a dream home.  I would love your input.

These first few weeks will be a bit boring as the actual construction has not started yet.  Hopefully by this time next month I will be sharing pictures.  Thank you for stopping by, and I hope you will follow me through the ups and downs of building a home!

6 comments:

  1. Best wishes on your new home.. Look forward to following you in this journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm happy to come along for the ride.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know you have planned and saved for a long time to do this- I'll be following and cheering you on. I'm very happy for yiu

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah! Looking forward to following progress. I know this is your dream come true.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy for you that things are getting ready to start on your home

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy for you that things are getting ready to start on your home

    ReplyDelete