Friday, November 13, 2015

Day 43: More Progress on Installing the ICFs

The second day of ICF installation went a bit faster.  In all six rounds of ICFs would need to be installed to give us a wall height of 8 feet.  By round three the windows were starting to come into play.  No blocks are installed where the windows will go.

As the additional layers of block are added, rebar and clips must also be added.  An important thing to remember is that the outer walls are being constructed by W and my dad (with supervision from Leo of course).  While the cost of ICFs is slightly higher than a wood frame home, I feel like we saved in time and labor costs.



At this point in the building process more neighbors were stopping by just to check things out.  W and I have been talking about building this type of home for a few years and more so as we were working on the foundation.  We are the first to build one in our area.  I feel quite accomplished at giving tours and answering questions.  I am sure there are some people who think we are a bit crazy.  No one who has actually stopped to check things out has not been impressed though.

2 comments:

  1. I still don't fully understand how all this works but it's interesting as can be and I'm enjoying getting to follow this process.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's looking good! Way to go saving on the labor costs.

    ReplyDelete